Anyway, as I was doing my Monday meal-planning before hitting the grocery store, I came across a recipe for it in The Goodhousekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. (One of the best wedding presents I received). It looked yummy, and simple enough, so last night I gave it a whirl.
Casey held up the cookbook for all to see while I snapped this on my phone. He is catching on to my blogging ways - such a good hubs.
* I declared last night that I would never make this dish in that skillet again. It was too small for this dish despite what the recipe says to use. I could have used some more stirring room - it would have made the "stir constantly" process much easier. It tasted just the same, despite the more gentle stirring motions I resorted to using.
Also, you are supposed to fill patty shells with the chicken mixture and our Winn-Dixie did not have any. Therefore, we baked up some Mary B's biscuits and spooned the Chicken a la King over top.
Of course, it is just fine by itself, without some sort of bread if you prefer.
Recipe below:
Ingredients:
6 tablespoons of butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups half-and-half
4 cups cubed, cooked chicken or turkey (or in my case 1 rotisserie chicken)
1 4-ounce jar diced pimentos, drained
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons medium sherry
1 teaspoon salt
8 patty shells, warmed
1. In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, in hot butter, cook mushrooms and green pepper 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in half-and-half and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
3. Add chicken and pimentos. Heat to boiling, stirring often. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
4. In cup, stir in yolks until mixed. Stir in a little of the sauce mixture (from skillet) ; slowly pour mixture back into sauce, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
5. Stir in sherry and salt and spoon the chicken mixture into patty shells OR pour over biscuits.
Eat it up!


No comments:
Post a Comment