Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Last Minute Leftover Casserole

Thrilling recipe title, I know.  I thought about coming up with something slightly more catchy but nothing really great struck me.  Besides, that is the actual stated title in my cook book - so I'm stickin' to it.  Okay, now that I am finished defending the title I will actually share the recipe.  Oh, one more thing - we thoroughly enjoyed this dish!    



1 small can asparagus
Leftover meat (ham, chicken, or turkey)
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 slices American cheese
Buttered cracker crumbs
Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste

Place meat slices in casserole dish.  Add asparagus , cheese slices, and soup seasoned with Worcestershire, salt, and pepper.  Cover with crumbs and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly.  Serves 6 to 8.

Here are my modifications/suggestions (because I didn't follow the instructions exactly).
1. I did not have "leftover" meat on hand, but had to go to the grocery store and meant to pick up a rotisserie chicken.  I forgot to pick one up, and ended using boneless, skinless, chicken strips instead.  However, a rotisserie chicken would me super tasty in this dish.  
2. I used a 13x9 pan and bought a large can of asparagus.  I'm assuming the orginal recipe can be made with a much smaller pan.
3.  Instead of laying slices of cheese on top of the chicken and asparagus, I grated sharp chedder and sprinkled a nice layer over the top.
4. I poured the can of soup into a separate bowl, put a dash of worcestershire, salt, pepper, and stirred it up.  Then poured it over the cheese.  (I think that was what the real recipe meant for one to do anyway).
5. I melted butter in a sauce pan and crumbled Ritz crackers into it, making them nice and toasty. 
6.  Once the crackers were sprinkled on top, I popped it into the oven for 16 mintues.  It smelled soo good and was bubbling nicely. 

This dish is what I consider a quintessential southern pot-luck dish.  It certainly falls under the category of comfort food!

*Recipe is from The Cook's Book.  It is cook book that was published by Calvary Episcopal Church in Cleveland, MS.  I received it as a wedding present, and it is one of my favorite books to use.

Enjoy!
 

No comments: